There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Life can be hard—there’s no denying that.
It seems like you need to be on constant lookout so that you don’t miss crucial life lessons to help you face challenges, overcome obstacles, forge relationships, and chase your dreams.
All of this can feel overwhelming at times.
You’re not alone in feeling this. Other people also struggle to make sense out of life.
Some people even repeat the same mistakes in their attempts to figure out their purpose and the lasting contribution they can make in the world.
If only there were some wise words that could point you to the right decision or the correct action in a given situation.
Today’s article features a list of quotes on life lessons. This collection of quotes from wise people throughout history serves as a powerful guide for navigating through life’s pitfalls and the amazing things you’ll experience along the way.
Why Read Quotes About Life Lessons
Reading these quotes can benefit you in the following ways:
We hope that these quotes will help you realize that the struggle to make sense out of life has been experienced by people throughout history and across cultures.
More importantly, may these quotes increase your motivation to try new things and never stop chasing your dreams.
79 Thought-Provoking Quotes: Life Lessons
- “Life is about accepting the challenges along the way, choosing to keep moving forward, and savoring the journey.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Life taught me love is risky. Death taught me to love even more.” – Maxime Legacé
- “In the book of life, the answers aren’t in the back.” – Charlie Brown
- “If there’s a single lesson that life teaches us, it’s that wishing doesn’t make it so.” – Lev Grossman
- “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” – Albert Einstein
- “Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” – Og Mandino
- “I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons.” – Drew Barrymore
- “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost
- “Instructions for living a life. Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.” – Mary Oliver
- “My greatest life lesson has been that life can change in a second. This is why it’s important to always live your best possible life and to do what you can for others.” – Niki Taylor
- “I’ve come to realize that every single day we face moments that are difficult, uncertain, and scary. Your life requires courage.” – Mel Robbins
I’ve come to realize that every single day we face moments that are difficult, uncertain, and scary. Your life requires courage.” – Mel Robbins
- “If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.” – Jim Rohn
- “The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which bridge to burn.” – David Russell
- “Always remember people who have helped you along the way, and don’t forget to lift someone up.” – Roy T. Bennett
- “Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood.” – Helen Keller
- “And I believe that there’s a lesson in almost everything that you do and every experience, and getting the lesson is how you move forward.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.” – Hans Christian Andersen
- “Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character, and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our marching onward.” – Henry Ford
- “The biggest lesson I learned this year is to not force anything; conversations, friendships, relationships, attention, love. Anything forced is just not worth fighting for, whatever flows flows, what crashes crashes.” – Amanda Rose
- “People only get better with experience if they are willing to learn and understand the lessons that are given to them through the bad times in their lives.” – Jamie Alderton
- “Some of life’s best lessons are learned at the worst times.” – Ani DiFranco
- “You have to make mistakes to find out who you aren’t. You take the action, and the insight follows: You don’t think your way into becoming yourself.” – Anne Lamott
- “Our life experiences are a result of where our attention takes us.” – Deepak Chopra
- “Don’t waste another moment crying over what went wrong! If it wasn’t a blessing – it was a lesson.” – Paula White
Don’t waste another moment crying over what went wrong! If it wasn’t a blessing – it was a lesson.” – Paula White
- “The biggest lesson I had in my life was failure.” – Tim Rice
- “I have taken the biggest lesson of all from animals, needless to say, and discovering that living for the day is the way to live.” – Jackie Weaver
- “In every success story, you will find someone who has made a courageous decision.” – Peter F. Drucker
- “Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it’s a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.” – Al Franken
- “Pause and remember – Every single event in your life, especially the difficult lessons, have made you smarter, stronger, and wiser than you were yesterday. Be thankful!” – Jennifer Young
- “Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” – George Santayana
- “Life teaches us to make good use of time and time teaches us the value of life.” – A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- “The one thing that I keep learning over and over again is that I don’t know nothing. I mean, that’s my life lesson.” – Dwayne Johnson
- “Over the years I’ve come to realize that mistakes are just lessons, life lessons almost like school. Once you’ve learned a lesson in class, you move on to the next lesson because now you know it. Well, mistakes are exactly the same.” – Rashad Royster
- “Some people come in your life as blessings; others come in your life as lessons.” – Mother Teresa
- “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Four Lessons on Life 1. Never take down a fence until you know why it was put up. 2. If you get too far ahead of the army, your soldiers may mistake you for the enemy. 3. Don’t complain about the bottom rungs of the ladder; they helped to get you higher. 4. If you want to enjoy the rainbow, be prepared to endure the storm.” – Warren W. Wiersbe
- “Straight roads do not make skillful drivers.” – Paulo Coelho
- “The Universe is one great kindergarten for man. Everything that exists has brought with it its own peculiar lesson.” – Orison Swett Marden
- “One man’s fault is another man’s lesson.” – Maltese Proverb
One man’s fault is another man’s lesson.” – Maltese Proverb
- “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.” – Vernon Saunders Law
- “You only struggle because you’re ready to grow but aren’t willing to let go.” – Drew Gerald
- “In school, you’re taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you’re given a test that teaches you a lesson.” – Tom Bodett
- “Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Gandhi
- “Don’t wait for a Guru. Your life is your Guru.” – Krishna Das
- “As life’s lessons are learned, spiritual truth emerges.” – Eric Alsterberg
- “To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.” – Benjamin Disraeli
- “It’s not the mistake that matters, it’s how you interpret the lesson.” – Michelle C. Ustaszeski
- “Don’t run from lessons; they are little packages of treasure that have been given to us. As we learn from them, our lives change for the better.” – Louise Hay
- “On lesson learned – Don’t look where you fall, but where you slipped.” – African Proverb
- “Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of others, instead, seek what they sought.” – Matsuo Basho
- “Life’s lessons are about learning one or more of the values of the Truth.” – Mary E. McGovern
- “Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass…it’s about learning how to dance in the rain!” – Author Unknown
- “You don’t learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over.” – Richard Branson
- “I’m grateful for every scar, some pages turned, some bridges burned, but there were lessons learned.” – Carrie Underwood
- “There are certain life lessons that you can only learn in the struggle.” – Idowu Koyenikan
There are certain life lessons that you can only learn in the struggle.” – Idowu Koyenikan
- “Try to accomplish things you have always dreamt of while you can. I know it sounds cliche, but the biggest lesson I have learned is that life is precious; enjoy it while it lasts.” – Lisa Ling
- “One important thing to consider is that we are born ready to give and receive love, but our life lessons get in the way of experiencing this gift.” – TJ Gibbs
- “The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only way to make a man trustworthy is to trust him, and the surest way to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him and show your distrust.” – Henry L. Stimson
- “Fear is not a good teacher. The lessons of fear are quickly forgotten.” – Mary Catherine Bateson
- “The most valuable lessons in life cannot be taught, they must be experienced.” – Liam Payne
- “Toast to the lessons not yet learned and to the trials that will teach them.” – Brooke Fraser
- “Learning to appreciate those things that aren’t related to success has proved the biggest lesson.” – Chet Faker
- “You make mistakes. Mistakes don’t make you.” – Maxwell Maltz
- “By three methods, we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; And third, by experience, which is the bitterest.” – Confucius
- “Think of each failure, each heartache, and each loss in your life as a lesson in courage and resilience.” – Kate Anderson
- “This world is your best teacher. There is a lesson in everything. There is a lesson in each experience. Learn it and become wise. Every failure is a stepping stone to success. Every difficulty or disappointment is a trial of your faith. Every unpleasant incident or temptation is a test of your inner strength. Therefore nil desperandum. March forward hero!” – Sivananda
- “One of the best lessons you can learn in life is to master how to remain calm.” – Catherine Pulsifer
- “When you share your story and become vulnerable, the ripple effect and the people that you can help along the way is a life lesson.” – Sophie Gregoire Trudeau
When you share your story and become vulnerable, the ripple effect and the people that you can help along the way is a life lesson.” – Sophie Gregoire Trudeau
- “Life’s lessons take a lifetime to learn, that’s just how it is in life’s classroom. But as we learn, we teach others. We are all teachers in the school of life.” – Olive Steele
- “Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better.” – Albert Einstein
- “Life is inherently risky. There is only one big risk you should avoid at all costs, and that is the risk of doing nothing.” – Denis Waitley
- “Sometimes in life, your situation will keep repeating itself until you learn your lesson.” – Brigitte Nicole
- “Life is a long lesson in humility.” – James M. Barrie
- “Every relationship offers one of two things: a lesson or a blessing. In many instances, the lesson is the ultimate blessing.” – Anquanette Gaspard
- “Knowing Is not enough; We must apply. Wishing Is not enough; We must do.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “Forgive but do not forget, or you will be hurt again. Forgiving changes the perspectives. Forgetting loses the lesson.” – Paulo Coelho
- “The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.” – David O. McKay
- “Every one of us comes into this life with lessons to learn and gifts to give.” – Shakti Gawain
Final Thoughts About Life Lesson Quotes
There you have it—a collection of quotes on life lessons to keep you motivated as you face any challenge life may throw at you.
Navigating through life can sometimes be overwhelming. However, we only grow by learning through our mistakes, bouncing back after failed attempts, and constantly moving forward.
We grow into better versions of ourselves when we learn to let go of the past and keep trying new things every day.
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then watch this free video that details the 7-minute habit for planning your day to focus on what’s truly important to you..